Translate

Tuesday 26 July 2016

Two days of Santiago that couldn’t have been more different



Thanks to my current hosts Tatjana and Julio I could not just have an awesome welcome and dinner with a typical chelonian family but Tatjana also showed me the nice “Barrio” (= district) Las Condes in the east of Santiago. First we had a wonderful and really delicious breakfast in a cute café close to their appartment. We had bread, that here always sort of has to be toasted with scrambled egg and mashed avocado. That was my first time to taste avocado here, that by the way is called “palta”. It really tasted different than the avocados we have in Europe, but I’ve been told, that that might be because here they have like 5 different sorts of avocados here – all tasting differently, but delicious. Hopefully throughout these 6 months.




The big building in the middle is the Costanera Center
Next stop in Las Condes was the Costanera Center which is a pretty big mall that makes you feel like you never left Europe after all. Still it was a lot bigger than I’m used to from Germany or the Netherlands and reminded me a bit of my trip to Moscow (malls are huge there too). Around 4 we had Lunch – Sushi time – Hell Yes :) Again, avocado is everywhere, which obviously isn’t a bad thing at all!! My first grocery shopping tour was that night as well. I already knew Chile wasn’t as cheap as other countries in south America, but 1,50€ for some really basic oat meal is kinda much :/ Luckily I’ll visit a market soon, which is supposed to be a cheaper option (at least for fruit and vegetables).

Oftentimes cake here is called by the German word "Kuchen"




Biggest chelonian flag in the world
On my third day in Santiago I had a look at my room in the barrio Yungay. As Las Condes is one of the most wealthy parts of Santiago, it was a small shock coming into a more realistic part of Santiago, where there are some more street dogs, less glamour and graffiti on many walls. Despite the first little shock, this barrio (Yungay), counting to one of the oldest parts of Santiago, it is a district that really can have charm once you get to know more about it. 









The guy (Fabian) currently living in my new room was so nice to show me some parts of the city like the Central Station and La Moneda – the palace of the president with the biggest chelonian flag in the world in front of it. On the picture to the left it looks tiny but it seriously was HUGE :D
Central Station of Santiago (this is a panorama picture thats why cars are cut off)
La Moneda

Palmtrees can be found everywhere!!!


That day I also saw my best friend from Maastricht again, which was so weird. I couldn’t really process, that this person I know just from Maastricht is here with me at the other end of the world. Together we went to the barrio Bellavista – a more touristic yet not too typically pretty part of Santiago. In the morning the weather was really rainy, which is not really common for Santiago because of its geographical position. But lucky as we were, later that day we had perfect weather with some clouds, blue sky and a lot of sun. That moment I started to understand what people mean by that the sun here is very different. Due to the closer location to the Equator it is a lot stronger which is awesome when you have chilly winter temperatures.(probably I'll explain this a bit more once I had some days at uni and more save information about the city.
Barrio Bellavista







Barrio Bellavista

Today (26.07.16) is my third day here in Santiago and the first day that started so nice! The weather is awesome and today I’m going to explore the city a little more and hopefully go on some close mountain from where you can see the skyline so be aware of a bombardment with skyline pictures. To be honest, when I saw the Andes yesterday for the first time it was really surreal but true what people say: It’s really beautiful!!!

It's probably not easy to detect the smok on this one ..
Only one thing I still need to get used to is the smok, especially because the rain was one day ago it is building up again so at the skyline you can always see a brownish steam above the city.
Thursday and Friday will be the first introduction days at Uni and I’m really excited how it will be. More about that in the weekend.






Oh and hereby a little shoutout for my lovely friends Tatjana and Julio for being so generous to give me a couche for the first days before I can move into my own room. (which is also to thank for this amazing views!!!)

The beautiful Andes (and some smok just above the houses...)




Muchos Besos,

Leonie

No comments:

Post a Comment