Translate

Tuesday 29 August 2017

Personal update:


2 ½ weeks ago I landed in the Capital of Colombia –Bogota. For the past weeks I’ve been enjoying my free time a lot. Here a small bulletpoint summary:

- First thing that surprised me again when I arrived was the incredible friendliness here in Colombia as well as the formal way of speaking. It took me some days to get used to both but slowly I’m getting the hang of it.

- Celebrating one year with my partner in crime, my better half, my colombian love forever. That night I thought we would just go to eat some Sushi to have some quality time. But after some fast stop at the supermarket we arrived at the restaurant and I bursted in tears as his mother ans sister secretly decorated our table with the cutes decoration ever. There couldn't have been a better way to celebrate one very special year with you my love. 

I can't thank you enough for all you do. Te amo <3



Ajiaco - traditional colombian soup

- On a lovely and first rainy tuesday I was invited to eat lunch at my lovely friend, Lina's place. Later we were going for a coffee in the center of Bogota and at the same moment receiving some crucial Bogota survival tips. We went to a very special coffee place - a Barista school. Therefore we could even choose the figures for our lattes.
Lina chose the elephant, I chose a swan








- Enjoying a weekend in the “tierra caliente” with Jorge’s family to enjoy the “Ferias y Fiestas” of San Antonio
à Three days of concerts in the small village at night including a wonderful firework, while resting the next day in the hammock and playing different typical Colombian games, like Tejo or Guayavita

every time we are here it feel like we're in a coffee advertisement...
Yes, it's real wild orchids





- When coming from the farm we are almost always able to take some self-grown fruits with us like Bananas, Mango or Papaya. This time we took a Papaya that was not completely ripe yet. After some days it was ripe to eat and I had a wonderful surprise that day – it didn’t have any seeds and was the best Papaya I’ve eaten so far


All Bogota is preparing for the visit of Pope Fransiscus
- Being happy about the really nice weather here in Bogota


- Still getting used to the shortage of oxygen due to the height of 2600m above sea level

-Trying to not “give too much Papaya” – which is a saying here of not showing what you own to prevent theft. Sadly here I really peak out of the group due to my physical appearance. People here are rather dark haired and have a very nice tanned (“caramel”) skin. With my blond hair, “clear” eyes and light skin I can be identified as “Gringa” from far. 
à “Gringo” Is actually a name for people from the US, anyways many use it for all kind of foreign looking individuals. This title makes one a seemingly easy target.

-Practicing my “angry face” to prevent any robbery due to my appearance

-Practicing my way to work in crazy Bogota traffic

-Checking out the bogotanian public transport system “transmilenio” and SiTP on my own as well as in company of my love
à  Sadly it wasn’t possible yet to install an underground Metro in Bogota. Therefore also the “Transmilenio” is a bus system functioning on different streets which makes it a lot faster than normal traffic in rush hour “Hora pico”

- Next to these two forms of public transport there is a rather “unofficial” way of transport which is simply called “bus”



- Celebrating two birthdays – Jorge’s nephew and mom had their birthday last weekend


















Let me introduce a colombian beauty: Camila





- Going to a Comedy night where I barely understood the jokes, but anyways I saw my lovely friend Camila who I got to know during my exchange in Chile and in the breaks they played some “Reaggeton” which made us spending the breaks dancing



Post hairdresser face :)





- Enjoyed a pedicure as well as a Manicure


- On my second day here I went to the hairdresser and got a well-deserved new haircut as well as new colour as I hadn’t cut my hair since Chile









- Day by day I enjoy typical Colombian food at home as well as in the streets of Bogota. Especially the amazing fruits conquered my heart. Did I already tell you that Colombia has an incredible variety of fruits to offer? Many are rather consumed in juices than in raw from. There are still a lot of fruits I haven’t tried but probably I’ll make one whole post about Colombian food as it would exceed this one
...and yes egg is part of each breakfast here 

Yes, soup is a normal breakfast here...
Guayava (pink), Granadilla (orange) and a coffee are a perfect snack. Coffee here is always with milk.

- This Friday I will start my internship and therefore finally also get to know the work atmosphere as well as working culture


Let me know if there are special things you would like to see on this blog as well as if you have suggestions how to improve it.


Muchos Besos,

Leonie

1 comment:

  1. Ohja ein food post über kolumbianisches essen bitte �� ansonsten gerne alltag Geschichten und/oder dinge über dein Praktikum (wo machst du es, wie hast du es gefunden, etc) ��❤

    Liebe Grüße aus der Heimat
    Jasmin

    ReplyDelete